27 February, 2016
Did you know that eating a handful of pecan nuts daily provides much of the recommended levels of minerals, vitamins, and protein your body needs? It's true, and our Pecans are some of the best tasting nuts you'll ever put in your mouth, so you got that going for you too.
Here is a huge list of facts we stole from our roaster's website. Read up, then 'sackup', with a Pecan Nutsack.
- Pecan nuts are rich source of energy, carry 690 calories/100 g and contain health benefiting nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for wellness.
- Pecan nuts are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids like oleic acid and an excellent source of phenolic antioxidants. Regular addition of pecan nuts in the diet helps to decrease total as well asLDL or “bad cholesterol” and increases HDL or “good cholesterol” levels in the blood.
- Pecan nuts are rich source of many phyto-chemical substances that may contribute to their overall antioxidant activity, including polyphenolic antioxidant ellagic acid, vitamin E, beta-carotene, lutein and zea-xanthin. Research studies have been suggestive of that these compounds help the body remove toxic oxygen-free radicals and thus, protect the body from diseases, cancers, as well as infections.
- Anti-proliferative properties of ellagic acid is because of its ability to inhibit DNA binding of certain carcinogens such as nitrosamines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, thus, offering protection to human body from cancers.
- Pecans are an excellent source of vitamin-E, especially rich in gamma-tocopherol; provide about 25 g per 100 g. Vitamin E is a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant, required for maintaining the integrity of cell membrane of mucus membranes and skin by protecting it from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
- Pecan nuts are very rich sources of several important B-complex groups of vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, and folates. Together, these vitamins work as co-factors for the enzyme metabolism inside the human body.
- Pecan nuts are also rich source of minerals like manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.